May 10th, 2013
When I got my new house, my dad told me to make sure that I schedule a furnace cleaning every year. I had no clue as to why to do that, so I didn’t bother. The next year, my dad reminded me to make sure that my furnace got cleaned. I decided why not get […]
May 7th, 2013
Sidney’s deep industrial heritage has contributed to a healthy population of tradespeople. Many who start out as workers in the area’s factories and warehouses take the skills they develop there off into their own small businesses. If you need someone to do some carpentry, electrical work, or plumbing Sidney will not disappoint. There are a […]
May 6th, 2013
No one wants to endure the uncomfortable heat of a home or building without air conditioning during the summer. If your air conditioning system malfunctions or needs maintenance, you need a reliable technician to make repairs and quickly respond to service calls. Companies that provide repairs for air conditioning in Langley hire factory-trained technicians with […]
- Color of the Year: Radiant OrchidTake inspiration from these 14 stunning examples of how bright purples like Pantone's 2014 Color of the Year can be used to make your rooms pop
- Demystifying Christmas Tree BuyingOur guide to five of the best-selling conifers this season
- 24 Easy Upgrades to Create a Festive Holiday HomeSimple and quick projects to turn your ho-hum house bright and fun for the holiday season
- 10 Uses for Wood DowelsThis handyman helper can be cut down to size for big and small projects
- Colorize Your MantelAdd oomph to this natural focal point and bring out the beauty of the woodwork with some unexpected color
- homemade carpet stain removerAttack a set-in carpet stain with a powerful homemade remover: Mix 1 teaspoon OxiClean with 2 cups water in a spray bottle.—35 Super-Fast Fixes and Easy Upgrades
A Real Man Doesn’t Pinterest
(This one is primarily for the guys; sorry, ladies, but almost all of you already know about this one. Count yourself ahead.) A real man doesn’t even know what Pinterest is, right? Wrong. Sure, the ratio of floral print to bloodshed is preposterously high, but Pinterest is full of fantastic do-it-yourself inspiration. How would you like to repurpose your old bookcase into a bar? How about make a walkway out of stained pallets? Don’t be embarrassed by its reputation: Pinterest is for men, too.
Asking questions isn’t just for school. If you’re thinking about undertaking your own home remodeling project, ask questions of anyone who might have answers for you. Ask the guys at Home Depot. Ask the neighbor whose brother is a contractor. Ask the contractor brother of your neighbor. Ask friends who have had professional contractors come in to do work. Ask friends who have done their own DIY projects. Ask about how they did it, who and what helped, and what unforeseen problems they faced. Ask whatever questions pop into your head, basically.
Get Used to Disarray
You probably have a full-time job, so you probably can’t devote entire days to your big project. That means that for the week(s) it takes you to actually complete your project, your house—or at least the room in question—is going to be messy. And that’s okay. If you can “see” the end of your project when you start, you’ll be able to ignore, or at least accept, the disorder.