May 10th, 2013
When I got my new house, my dad told me to make sure that I schedule a furnace cleaning every year. I had no clue as to why to do that, so I didn’t bother. The next year, my dad reminded me to make sure that my furnace got cleaned. I decided why not get [...]
May 7th, 2013
Sidney’s deep industrial heritage has contributed to a healthy population of tradespeople. Many who start out as workers in the area’s factories and warehouses take the skills they develop there off into their own small businesses. If you need someone to do some carpentry, electrical work, or plumbing Sidney will not disappoint. There are a [...]
May 6th, 2013
No one wants to endure the uncomfortable heat of a home or building without air conditioning during the summer. If your air conditioning system malfunctions or needs maintenance, you need a reliable technician to make repairs and quickly respond to service calls. Companies that provide repairs for air conditioning in Langley hire factory-trained technicians with [...]
- Create an Updated Victorian BathA whitewashed cottage space with creative period details feels clean-lined and cozy […]
- How to Build a Planter BenchAssemble a stationary bench between sturdy planters made from stacked cedar boards […]
- Plant a Better Window-Box GardenPacked with potential, these mini landscapes can benefit from a few design tricks of their own […]
- 10 Uses for SandpaperScuffing up surfaces is only the beginning of this rough material's abilities […]
- 37 Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Outdoor RoomsSet out a daybed, weather-resistant cushions, or one of our other finds, and in a short time you'll have the ultimate staycation escape […]
- hydrangeas need regular dead-headingAll hydrangeas benefit from regular dead-heading to encourage more blooms.—5 Tips for Growing Gorgeous Hydrangeas […]
A Real Man Doesn’t Pinterest
(This one is primarily for the guys; sorry, ladies, but almost all of you already know about this one. Count yourself ahead.) A real man doesn’t even know what Pinterest is, right? Wrong. Sure, the ratio of floral print to bloodshed is preposterously high, but Pinterest is full of fantastic do-it-yourself inspiration. How would you like to repurpose your old bookcase into a bar? How about make a walkway out of stained pallets? Don’t be embarrassed by its reputation: Pinterest is for men, too.
Asking questions isn’t just for school. If you’re thinking about undertaking your own home remodeling project, ask questions of anyone who might have answers for you. Ask the guys at Home Depot. Ask the neighbor whose brother is a contractor. Ask the contractor brother of your neighbor. Ask friends who have had professional contractors come in to do work. Ask friends who have done their own DIY projects. Ask about how they did it, who and what helped, and what unforeseen problems they faced. Ask whatever questions pop into your head, basically.
Get Used to Disarray
You probably have a full-time job, so you probably can’t devote entire days to your big project. That means that for the week(s) it takes you to actually complete your project, your house—or at least the room in question—is going to be messy. And that’s okay. If you can “see” the end of your project when you start, you’ll be able to ignore, or at least accept, the disorder.